'The details are not details. They make up the design.' -Charles Eames
The above 'ingredients' (aka chemicals) are inferior at best, damaging at worst, and contribute to a longer shelf life and lower manufacturing cost. This saves the producer money, at the expense of quality and efficacy. You also need to use more of these products-it's like eating a half gallon of cheap ice cream, vs. a cup of rich gelato. You keep eating the ice cream because of taste, from chemicals and air! We are always amazed by what good quality essential oils and the right blending ingredients can accomplish, however. And equally amazed by the long list of strange items in most health, beauty and skin care products. Artifice is a rip-off....
While an exhaustive list of each individual herb, flower essence and essential oil would make for very long reading for you, here we list the categories of ingredients that we use in our line of products. Essentially, all of our products include a combination of two or more of the following:
- Organic Carrier Oils: We use a blend of lighter Sunflower with Sesame, or Olive oil with Sunflower, each blend creating the perfect balance for dry, mature or oily skin.
- The result? Nutritious food for your skin, aiding in healthy, vibrant, balanced skin! This oil blend 'carries' the herb and essential oil benefits into your body, penetrating skin layers, stimulating the lymph system and promoting circulation.
- Sesame oil is prized in Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India. It is used in a daily Ayurvedic self-massage called abhyanga. We've combined our Sesame with Sunflower, creating a readily absorbent, non-greasy oil. According to Ayurveda, sesame oil is especially useful for nourishing and detoxifying. Sesame oil provides your skin with: Vitamin E, lecithin, minerals, proteins, amino acids; it is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory.
- Sunflower oil, extracted from sunflower seeds, is rich in the essential fatty acid linoleic acid, as well as palmitic acid and stearic acid. Sunflower oil is astringent, absorbs easily & naturally contains vitamin E.
- Olive oil: Contains Vitamins A, E and anti-oxidants. Olive Oil does not penetrate the skin like Sesame Oil does. It does provide a nice barrier from the elements. We have blended it with Sunflower Oil, to create a more absorbent and lighter blend, as found in our Blessing Oils, with therapeutic essential oils, Olive oil can help prevent colds, soothe chapped/dry skin and protect against daily environmental challenges to the skin.
- Essential Oils: Pure, therapeutic quality, not produced or diluted with synthetic 'fragrance', no fragrance oil or 'perfumes/parfums'. We source from companies that obtain their oils without using harsh chemicals, and without diluting them post-production with additional synthetic fragrance. Organic or wild-crafted when possible. Please note that the term 'therapeutic' is not based on certification, and anyone can use this word to imply benefit. We choose to continue using it, despite its overuse by many as simply a marketing slogan, because it aligns with the quality of our products: They are therapeutic.
- Organic, Biodynamic Flower Essences: Pure spring water, vibrational infusion of flowers.
- Organic dried herbs: Local when possible, sustainably sourced, fair-trade when possible.
- Organic Witch Hazel, Organic Vitamin E and Organic Vegetable Glycerin (very small amounts used) are our ONLY preservatives.
- Occasionally, one of our blends will also include Borage, Rosehip Seed, Carrot Oil, Black Seed Oil or another nutrient rich base. We will always indicate this on the product page and on the label. We do not use nut oils and our current product list includes no animal products, gluten or honey.
A lot of things are 'natural'; that doesn't mean they are all good for you or your body! To be fair, several industries today (not just beauty) use the terms 'natural' and 'made with organic' rather interchangeably. 'Made with' means there are some organic ingredients. There might also be some very unsavory things in the same product. When we say natural, we mean natural. Lady of the Lotus Botanicals believes in truth in advertising and product. Truth, purity and integrity are not marketing slogans to us. But, as importantly, we want to convey what can be done through the simplicity of a few ingredients-nature's Intelligence-to achieve balance, health, inner alchemy and radiant skin. Essential oils and herbs are incredible allies, and fully potent tools to achieve this. We trust and respect them, and are honored by your trust in us, as well. Thank you.
ps-Wondering about the shelf life of your botanicals? We recommend use within 12 months of purchase. Though products are still usable after that time, they do lose vibrational potency. For best results, store away from heat and direct light. Chemicals are not necessary to preserve our products, because essential oils and nature do the job well!